Join us on Coastal Cleanup Day - September 15, 2018 - to clean up the Santa Ana River North and South Marshes
These protected wetlands serve as vital habitat for endangered animal and plant species and are an important link in the Santa Ana River watershed.
The marshes are also adjacent to the Banning Ranch lowlands, so they represent a rare opportunity to get an up-close look at that portion of Banning Ranch.
Join OCES and our partners for this important cleanup:
- U.S. Army Corp of Engineers
- Sierra Club Angeles Chapter
- Sierra Club Banning Ranch Park and Preserve Task Force
- Orange County Coastkeeper
- Drains to Ocean
Where is the cleanup area located?
The cleanup will take place in the north and south marshes, adjacent to the Banning Channel Bikeway on the west (Costa Mesa) side of the river. Look for the white sign-in tenst at the staging areas on the river trail
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
Volunteers under the age of 18 require a parent or guardian's signature on the ACoE release form.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
The marshes are adjacent on the west (Costa Mesa) side of the river, adjacent to the Banning Channel Bikeway, We'll have one staging area each in the north and south marshes (NOTE - copy and paste Google Maps URLs to view locations on Google Maps):
We strongly encourage volunteers to bike or walk to the staging tents, but street-side parking is avaiable at three locations near the staging areas:
- West 19th Street in Costa Mesa https://goo.gl/maps/3FCeyr6xWEG2
- Public parking along Seashore Drive in Newport Beach https://goo.gl/maps/Gtq5xXCjN6R2
- West Victoria Street near Vista Park - https://goo.gl/maps/khrg6aAyFq12
What can I bring into the event?
We encourage volunteers to bring the following items:
- A bucket or reusable bag
- A reusable water bottle
- A hat
- Closed-toed shoes that you don't mind getting wet/muddy
- Please DO NOT wear sandals, flip-flops or open-toed shoes
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Email OCearthstewards@Gmail.com for additional information